How to prepare
Come to Underground Yoga prepared to challenge your body, have fun, and feel blissed out. Eat lightly beforehand (1-2 hours before is best), stay hydrated, and have an open mind. Barefoot practice is recommended, and feel free to use a towel over your mat to reduce slippage from sweaty feet and hands. Wear soft and stretchy clothing that allows your skin to breath and your body to move freely.
What should I bring?:
-A yoga mat (If you forget yours, you can rent a mat for $1.00)
-A towel (We do offer complimentary towel service, but if you really like your own you can bring it)
-Bring your own reusable water bottle! Please help us save the environment! We provide purified water but you must bring your own bottle. *We will soon be retailing Earthlust reusable water bottles for purchase is you need one.
ETIQUETTE OF YOGA PRACTICE
- Please arrive 15 minutes early for your first class to sign up and take a tour.
- Do not arrive late. The first 10 minutes of class, otherwise known as the warm up, is crucial! You may not be admitted if you miss the warm up. When you skip your warm up injuries happen, so please understand how important it is to be on time for class.
- Please turn off your cell phone.
- Don’t enter or exit the studio during practice (our integration warmup is essential to a safe practice!). Be mindful and courteous of your fellow students. If you’re running late or must leave early, please notify your instructor and setup quietly next to the door. Make sure to take savasana before you leave.
- Please try to restrict restroom breaks to before and after class.
- Avoid eating heavily 1-2 hours before class; this can cause discomfort and prevent you from enjoying your practice. A light snack before class is fine if necessary.
- Please leave your shoes at the door or in the cupboard we provide.
- Notify your instructor of any injuries or physical limitations- we can provide you with suitable modifications.
- Once the instructor begins class, please refrain from chatting with your neighbors. Again, be mindful and courteous of your fellow students.
- Saucha. Enter fresh and clean. Avoid using strong perfume or cologne; during deep yogic breathing and the release of bodily toxins, heavy odors are amplified and can be overpowering!
- Be considerate of the sacredness of the space. Please pick up after yourself, and replace props where you found them.
- Asteya. Please respect the belongings of your fellow students.
- Go at your own pace. Observe and enjoy the sensations produced by your practice. Deep stretching is welcome, pain is not!
- Santosha. Practice with patience. You will have many opportunities to grow within your practice. Until then, honor your body and its current needs and abilities.
Frequently asked questions/concerns:
I don’t have a mat, should I still come to class?
Yes! Underground Yoga provides mats for a small fee, until you have an opportunity to purchase your own personal mat. The same goes for water and towels, so you never have to feel unprepared!
I am not flexible at all! Can I still practice yoga?
Absolutely! Yoga is an evolving practice that accommodates ALL body types and athletic level, not only those who are already flexible. We can assure major improvement in your flexibility with regular practice.
What is “Power Yoga”?
Good question. Power yoga is an active, vigorous approach to vinyasa-style yoga which incorporates breath in tandem with a moving, flowing sequence of varying asanas (postures). Power yoga is based off traditional styles of yoga practice but with a little more “power”, including some non-traditional strength building exercises. Power yoga is the perfect practice for the person that not only wishes to benefit from the meditative qualities of yoga, but also wants to gain strength and flexibility in their entire body.